[Asterisk-Users] ADTRAN 850 and T100P - need some help!

mark at ssnstage.com mark at ssnstage.com
Sun Nov 7 01:15:52 MST 2004

Hi,

I am fairly new to Asterisk.  I am setting up my first server which will be connected to a Channel
Bank.

I purchased an Adtran 850 which has the PSU, RCU, Echo Cancellation, 1 Quad FXO module, and three
FXS modules.

After a few problems getting everything compiled ok with the Zaptel drivers, I was able to get
Asterisk to recognize the T100P card.

I am a little confused as to which port on the Adtran I am supposed to plug the cable into that
connects to the T100P.

The Adtran came with a cable attached to some sort of terminating module.  If I plug that into the
T1 network port, the T1 alarm lights go off and everything appears to be ok.  This same cable does
no good though when plugged into the T100P rather than the termination adapter.

I researched a bit and was able to get an actual properly made T1 crossover cable.  I plug this
into the T100P and the channel bank and it looks like I may be in business!

For the moment, I only have a single FXS card in the channel bank.  Thus, my configuration files
are as folows:

Zapata.conf

[channels]
signalling=fxo_ks
language=en
context=desks
channel => 1-4

zaptel.conf

span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs
fxoks=1-4

Using ztcnfg -vvv shows the channels are ready to go.

If I plug a phone into the 66 punch down, I don't get dialtone, but I do see the correct LED light
up on the channel bank.

>From the channel bank config menu, I can also perform a test ring on the FXS module and that worked.

As soon as I re-start Asterisk though, I get this on the console:

 -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/2-1'
    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/3-1'
    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/4-1'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/2-1'
Nov  7 00:10:53 WARNING[23912]: chan_zap.c:1324 zt_set_hook: zt hook failed: Device or resource busy
    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/3-1'
Nov  7 00:10:53 WARNING[23912]: chan_zap.c:1324 zt_set_hook: zt hook failed: Device or resource busy
    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/2-1'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/4-1'

Another poster in this list seemed to have a similar problem.  No resolution was posted.

1.  Am I plugged into the correct port on the channel bank?  There's a second network port that
says DSX-1.  I have read that a PBX often plugs into the DSX-1 port on a CSU/DSU.  Am I on the
wrong port?  If so, what kind of cable pinout goes on that DSX-1 port?

2.  If I am on the correct port, what might be causing the errors reported above?

I am desparate for help on this!  I have been trying to resolve this now for two days.

Thanks.