[Asterisk-Users] I don't know the name of this feature...

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Sun Nov 7 00:57:43 MST 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Reid A. Forrest wrote:

> > Currently, our office phone systems have 6 outside lines
> > coming in.  The
> > actual phones have lights ( indicators ) for these lines, so matter
> > where you are in the office, you can look at the phones and see that
> > someone is on line #2 ( for instance ).  I am not 100%, but I suspect
> > that all of these indicators are specifically tied to a
> > specific line.
> > I know this is the case with the last 2 lines, which are tied to
> > different phone numbers all together.
>
> This topic was discussed at length just a short while back (maybe two weeks
> ago?). Your phone system is called a key system, and Asterisk, being a PBX
> does not operate that way. Search back through the archives for "key system"
> and you should find the relevant threads.

Though there is nothing preventing a pbx from supporting a "key
system"-like mode of operation which I think is called a "Hybrid system".
With a bit more control of the subscriptions of busy-notifications I think
at least the sip channel could give the appearance of a hybrid system.
In some situations I can see that as being useful.

Peter