[Asterisk-Users] Need a dial plan as follows

Sat Nov 6 21:47:19 MST 2004

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:07:43 -0600, Steven Critchfield
<critch at basesys.com> wrote:
> I look forward to the time when you understand why your
> approach to the question was offensive.

Maybe it wasn't so much his questions ("has this been done before?"
and "where to post a bounty?") but his very unfortunate choice of a
subject line ("Need ... as follows") which if not considered
offensive, at the very least will raise some eyebrows.

Perhaps a subject like "MOH while Asterisk searches for callee" would
have been more helpful. I personally didn't even bother to read the
message because of its subject and only peeked in out of curiousity
about the responses ;-)

rgds
benjk

> In the meantime, a little more on how not to be offensive. Asking a
> specific question that shows effort will be rewarded with friendly
> advice. Asking a question that hist only the highpoints of your problem
> with no appearant effort will be coldly received. When you do get a
> moment, please find ESR's paper on how to ask a smart question. It will
> be invaluable for you when you seek to extract knowlege from others in
> the FOSS field. BTW, I do not consider ESR a good role model for person
> interaction, but he speaks intelligently on this topic.
>
> > In the mean time I will learn the old fashion way and buy the
> > knowledge I have no time to learn on my own from friendlier folks than
> > yourself.
>
> This was what was soo appearant in your message that was offensive. When
> you get this support for free, you need to temper your approach to that
> of someone asking a favor from another bust individual. Your message
> smacked of self importance and your need to place your problem before
> others. Actions like that make people feel this list becomes a welfare
> state where those who know must work hard for those who do not wish to
> put forth effort.
>
> > To the rest of the community, my deepest apology, but he deserved it.
>
> and maybe after this rebuttal, you will see how you deserved it more
> than you believe.

Tokyo, Japan.