[Asterisk-Users] Need a dial plan as follows

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Nov 6 21:07:43 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 20:16 -0700, Damon Estep wrote:
> Excuse my top post, my PDA does not know any better.
>
> Steven,
>
> There is a difference between you and I. Once I do learn the system I
> will willingly contribute to those traveling the roads behind me.

Maybe you need to go read through the archives. I am usually quite
friendly. I look forward to the time when you understand why your
approach to the question was offensive.

In the meantime, a little more on how not to be offensive. Asking a
specific question that shows effort will be rewarded with friendly
advice. Asking a question that hist only the highpoints of your problem
with no appearant effort will be coldly received. When you do get a
moment, please find ESR's paper on how to ask a smart question. It will
be invaluable for you when you seek to extract knowlege from others in
the FOSS field. BTW, I do not consider ESR a good role model for person
interaction, but he speaks intelligently on this topic.

> In the mean time I will learn the old fashion way and buy the
> knowledge I have no time to learn on my own from friendlier folks than
> yourself.

This was what was soo appearant in your message that was offensive. When
you get this support for free, you need to temper your approach to that
of someone asking a favor from another bust individual. Your message
smacked of self importance and your need to place your problem before
others. Actions like that make people feel this list becomes a welfare
state where those who know must work hard for those who do not wish to
put forth effort.

> To the rest of the community, my deepest apology, but he deserved it.

and maybe after this rebuttal, you will see how you deserved it more
than you believe.