[Asterisk-Users] An anniversary and a lament for FXOs

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Sat Nov 6 02:07:28 MST 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Ryan Thrash wrote:

> What about an expensive Supermicro dual Xeon PCI-X system with 1GB ECC
> RAM and a hardware RAID controller (it was SATA, though)?
>
> Echo was noticeable even on SIP-to-SIP calls internally with the
> system, with all sorts fo tweaks to tx/rx gain. Supermicro, too. Oh
> yeah, and we were on a T1 PRI, which is not *supposed* to have echo.
> Unfortunately when I left the company, they finally replaced the phone
> system to get rid of the echo and customer complaints.

The sip<->sip echo sounds really strange. What was the audio path?
   phone<-sip->asterisk<-sip->phone
or
   phone<-sip->phone
or some other path?

A T1 connection just means that that particualr call leg does not
introducce echo. The most common point to introduce echo is at a two wire
last leg. A digital path is in effect a four wire leg - i.e. the receive
and transmit paths are separate and can not leak into one another. If you
are on a T1+sip all digital connection the *you* can still hear echos
caused by your customers.

If your customers still hear echos even though your path is fully digital
the you may have an echo canceler somewhere in the path that actaully adds
the echo. This can happen if the path characteristics change or if the
echo canceler converges to an incorrect solution.

Peter