[Asterisk-Users] Giving users the ability to break out of the queue and go to voicemail

Matt Gibson gibson at experthost.com
Sat Nov 6 00:20:36 MST 2004

William M. Sandiford wrote:

>Hello All:
>
>I need some help.  I am trying to configure * so that users that are
>placed in a call are able to break out of the queue and go to voicemail
>if they no longer wish to wait in the queue.  I read the cmd options for
>the Queue command and I had figured that either option h or H would do
>the trick by allowing the user to push '*' to break out...but it doesn't
>work.
>
>Does anyone know how to accomplish what I want to do.  Thanks!

Hi Bill,

This is how I did it...

<--- snip  extensions.conf
; dial 4 from main menu (goto queue)
exten => 4,1,Goto(techqueue1,s,1)
---->

[techqueue1]
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,SetMusicOnHold(default)
exten => s,3,DigitTimeout,5
exten => s,4,ResponseTimeout,10
exten => s,5,SetVar(ALERT_INFO=1)
exten => s,6,Background(silence/1)
; set the callerid to per queue
exten => s,7,SetCIDName(qh - techq1)
exten => s,8,Background(queues/qh-tech-queue)     " "Welcome to
Quickhost technical support, you ma

; this next line sets it to call techqueue1
; with no retries on timeout (n)
; without allowing caller to hangup with * (H)
; with allowing called user to transfer (t)
; Queue(queuename|options|optionalurl|announceoverride|timeout)
; example: Queue(dave|t|||45)

exten => s,9,Queue(techqueue1|nt|||20)
; this is where we drop to if the queue times out
exten => s,10,Wait(2)
exten => s,11,Playback(queues/qh-tech-messages-busy) ; all of our agents
are currently occupied, pl
exten => s,12,Voicemail(s7000)                       ; will return your
call within 24 hours. thank
exten => s,13,Hangup

; this is what happens if user presses *
exten => *,1,Answer
exten => *,2,Playback(queues/qh-tech-message) ; please leave us a
message and we will return your c
exten => *,3,Voicemail(s7000)
exten => *,4,Hangup

>Here is what I had tried in extensions.conf   (it didn't seem to work)
>
>exten => 9056742007,1,Answer
>exten => 9056742007,2,Wait,1
>exten => 9056742007,4,Queue(tech|hH)
>exten => 9056742007,5,Voicemail(u9056742007)
>exten => 9056742007,6,Hangup
>
>Thanks
>Bill

Matt Gibson