[Asterisk-Users] Dynamic DNS causes problems

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Thu Nov 4 14:43:21 MST 2004

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Christoph Rothe wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately not. I have the same problem and the same solution here.
>> You really have to do a restart of asterisk. I think the reason that
>> asterisk does not always lookup the IP Adress for the DDNS-Hostname is
>> performance. But it would be nice if a sip reload could do so. Has
>> anybody contacts to the developers ;-) ?
>

> Since not everyone uses DHCP, I expect not everyone will be interested
> in this, but what about a small app specifically for checking for
> changes in the DNS to IP lookup of specific(or any!?) hostname fields.
>
> You could configure the app to run on your specified interval.
>
> You could possibly tag somehow or name specific instances of the
> hostname= fields you wanted to test.
>

> Note: I am behind a DHCP'ed connection and use dyndns myself.
> Fortunately, my IP stays the same for very long periods of time, so it's
> not been an issue, but I can definately see its use.
>
> Further Note: Although I have self-studied BASIC, Pascal, C, Java, and
> PHP, I don't really consider myself a programmer. I would attempt this
> myself, but I know there are people who could have written an app in the
> time it took me to write this message. If no one comes up with an easy
> solution for the original poster, I'll take a look at it.

The plan is to get the server who's IP address changes to register with
the server that doesn't.

Then set host=dynamic as the hostname

That way, if your dyndns gets changed (i.e. you get disconnected from
the internet), you can do a reload on the dyndns box and it will register.

I have this working with no problems here.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell