[Asterisk-Users] Dynamic DNS causes problems

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Thu Nov 4 14:27:25 MST 2004

Christoph Rothe wrote:
> Unfortunately not. I have the same problem and the same solution here.
> You really have to do a restart of asterisk. I think the reason that
> asterisk does not always lookup the IP Adress for the DDNS-Hostname is
> performance. But it would be nice if a sip reload could do so.
> Has anybody contacts to the developers ;-) ?

Since not everyone uses DHCP, I expect not everyone will be interested
in this, but what about a small app specifically for checking for
changes in the DNS to IP lookup of specific(or any!?) hostname fields.

You could configure the app to run on your specified interval.

You could possibly tag somehow or name specific instances of the
hostname= fields you wanted to test.

Note: I am behind a DHCP'ed connection and use dyndns myself.
Fortunately, my IP stays the same for very long periods of time, so it's
not been an issue, but I can definately see its use.

Further Note: Although I have self-studied BASIC, Pascal, C, Java, and
PHP, I don't really consider myself a programmer. I would attempt this
myself, but I know there are people who could have written an app in the
time it took me to write this message. If no one comes up with an easy
solution for the original poster, I'll take a look at it.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/