[Asterisk-Users] marginal voicemail prompt sound quality

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Tue Nov 2 20:46:02 MST 2004

Is there a common solution to poor sound quality when listening to the
voicemail prompts?

When I play the .gsm files in the sounds directory via windows/quicktime
the quality is far better than what I experience when listening to the
same sounds as prompts when connected to voicemail to review messages.
In cases where there is a sequence of "digit" sounds, like one-oh-one
(101) there is truncation (leading and ending) of the digit sounds and a
somewhat scratchy audio quality. Ironically, the recorded voicemail
messages are much better sounding.

The issue can be made more apparent by increasing verbosity of the CLI
(-vvvvc), the more verbose it is the more problems there are with sound
quality. This appears to be limited to playback of included .gsm sounds.
Voice channel and recorded vmail sound fine.

The relevant info is; CVS Head, RedHat 9.0, SIP, Cisco ATA 186, No X or
VESA frame buffer.

Thanks,

Damon