[Asterisk-Users] Re: How far is IAX to be a Standard

Marcelo Pacheco marcelo at macp.eti.br
Tue Nov 2 14:12:53 MST 2004

> Think back,  The telco started with inline signaling.  Pulsing digits,
> cross bar switching, DTMF, CAS ....  'Yesterdays telco' took signaling
> out of band for a reason.  I'm not sure putting the signaling back into
> the bearer channel is a 'good thing'.

Telcos did that because they're dealing with fixed size samples, without clear
packet boundaries, where adding a whole framing sub-protocol would be crazy.

However IP already gives you that framing, so you can distinguish between IAX
voice packets and IAX signalling packets without a lot of complication.

The only thing in favor of your argument is CDR issues with IAX transfer.

Marcelo Pacheco