[Asterisk-Users] Re: How far is IAX to be a Standard

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Mon Nov 1 20:00:49 MST 2004

On Nov 1, 2004, at 9:37 PM, Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists wrote:

> niels at wxn.nl wrote:
>
>> IAX really isn't the 'one and only' perfect signaling protocol
>
> IAX is *not* a signalling protocol. It is a VoIP protocol.
>
> And that's the whole point. H.323, SIP, et al those are all signalling
> protocols, half protocols so to speak. IAX is a self-contained, true
> internet protocol. In a world where everything is moving towards peer
> to peer that is an advantage. Dedicated protocols for signalling-only
> have been designed for large telcos and yesterday's telco
> infrastructure, not for the future of voice on the net peer to peer
> style.

Think back,  The telco started with inline signaling.  Pulsing digits,
cross bar switching, DTMF, CAS ....  'Yesterdays telco' took signaling
out of band for a reason.  I'm not sure putting the signaling back into
the bearer channel is a 'good thing'.

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Crocker Telecommunications, LLC