[Asterisk-Users] adding an artificial delay to *

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Tue Nov 2 11:32:22 MST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, steve szmidt wrote:

> > It is quite true for some classes of batteries. E.g. some Li-ion batteries
> > will explode if charged (or in the case of rechargeable batteries charged
> > with the wrong voltage / polarity). They pack quite a punch as well. The
> > normal household alkaline batteries are safe as far as I know though.
>
> And at that you need enough amperage to blow it. Normal charge is not enough,
> your charger should blow a fuse long before. Not what you find in normal home
> charging equipment.

For non-rechargeable Li-ion cells the required energy input can be
relativly small, if they are not internally protected. Those designed for
soldering on to a pcb may be unprotected as the required circuitry is
expected to be on the pcb.

The ones I have encountered were safe even if shorted, but not if charged.
Even a relatively small charging current can initiate a runaway energy
release. It all depends on what kind of battery it is. I would expect all
household batteries to be safe or we would have heared of a lot more
explosions.

If it is dangerous, they will be dumb.

Peter