[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk refuses to use anything but g729

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Tue Nov 2 10:25:47 MST 2004

Matthew Boehm [mboehm at cytelcom.com] wrote:
> This is really stupid behavior of asterisk. I have an ATA and an IP phone
> that I have set to use 711. These two devices MUST use 711 because they
> are for faxing. I have some other phones that are set to use 729. In my
> sip.conf:
>
> disallow=all
> allow=g729
> allow=ulaw
> allow=alaw
> allow=gsm
>
> The phones that are set to 729 work great. However, the other phones do
> not use 711. Asterisk FORCES them to use 729 when I have EXPLICITLY set
> the devices to use 711. WHY is asterisk forcing these devices to use
> something I told them not to use?
>
> g729 is at the top of my allow'd list because I want any other phone/ATA
> to use 729 first. But if the device is set to "no 729" then why is 729
> still happening?
>
> Is there some other config option to force a device/extension to use only
> 1 specific codec?

You'll probably find that the device has a "preferred codec" setting,
rather than an "only use this codec" setting.  If you've told Asterisk
to try G.729 in your allow list then it'll try it and succeed (if you've
paid off the monopolists).  If you only want to use G.711/ulaw then why
have you added other codecs to your allow list?

Perhaps you've only defined the "allow" list globally.  Did you know
that each sip.conf block can define its own local "allow" list,
overriding the global list?  If you're not doing so then define a
"disallow = all" directive, and "allow = whatever" list, for each
block that needs to override the global settings.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz