[Asterisk-Users] Linux and Windows

Jason Becker jason at coalescentsystems.ca
Mon Nov 1 08:26:41 MST 2004

james wrote:
>>The trouble is innertia. Most Windoze folks are so much into their
>>Windoze routine, they won't even use a Linux or BSD box if you install
>>it for them. I have got a friend in the UK who is always complaining
>>about his Windoze box being down and having to rebuild it from scratch
>>because of viruses, DLL hell, hardware quirks and god knows what else.
>>For years I told him that he could get rid of all that once and for
>>all very easily. When I started with Asterisk, there was finally
>>something that got him interested because he's a telephone junkie.
>

> Well then, how did you expect your win-weenies to admin a hardware based
> phone system then? It sounds like they didn't admin them. Why should
> they admin a new * phone system?
>
> The fact that a phone system can exist in software and run on a computer
> doesn't mean that just anyone can admin it. Besides a myriad of OS
> related issues, there is a huge volume of telecom related issue involved
> too. Larger phone systems have always been based on a varient of Unix
> (and not just AT&T/Avaya/Lucent). Admining Unix is part of being a phone
> system administrator.

I too favour Linux over Windows but this kind of rhetoric doesn't help
accelerate the adoption of *.

I also believe in empowering customers. One of the benefits of
AMP/voxbox is that the routine day-to-day administration of an *-based
solution is abstracted from the configuration files. I fail to see any
reason why knowledge of programming logic and a background in UNIX
administration is necessary to setup an IVR.

Regards,

--
Jason Becker
Director & CEO