[Asterisk-Users] Unblocking incoming SIP

Brian Cuthie brian at systemix.com
Mon May 31 09:28:18 MST 2004

Andy Powell wrote:

>On 31/05/2004 at 10:47 Eric Wieling wrote:

>>default OFF not ON,

>>>I agree 100%, this has been very frustrating trying to work out why
>>>Asterisk suddenly stopped accepting calls from FWD and other PSTN based
>>>services.
>>>
>>>I very much preferred the old method, if I didn't want to accept a SIP
>>>call you just don't have a matching context.
>>>

>>The problem is that too many people had a context= in [general] and
>>didn't realize that incoming SIP calls that didn't match anything would
>>be accepted and sent to the context= that was specified in [genera].
>>

>which is why everywhere you look in the guides etc people say put something like:
>
>context=boguscalls
>
>in the general section, which (providing you weren't stupid enough to create a
>[boguscalls] section worked well... in fact I'll go as far as quoting my own guide:
>
>"An important point here, if you do not have a sip aware firewall and are just using port forwarding then ensure that your context points to somewhere like ‘invalidcalls’. If you do not do this then someone could call one of your extensions direct from the Internet. If you had an FXO card in the machine, this could lead to them being able to make PSTN calls"
>
>Those people that "didn't realize" were more than likely using a guide to set up...
>
>I still stand by the fact that this feature should have been OFF in the first place.
>
>Andy

Except that I *want* anyone to be able to call me directly from the
Internet. That's the whole point -- we're trying to remove the necessity
for a phone-company-like entity in the middle.

Instead, I suggest setting the default context for sip to something like
"sip-incoming-default" and then include in the dialplan those things you
wish people to be able to call directly.

-brian