[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk mangling faxes

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon May 31 04:51:35 MST 2004

Hi Darren,

Darren Nickerson wrote:

>>Steve Underwood wrote:
>>

>>Are you sure that approach is free from patent problems? I thought the
>>ECM protocol was encumbered. If not, that is good news. :-)
>>

>Steve,
>
>I'm not a lawyer, but I'll give this a shot ;-)
>
>Although particular vendor implementations of ECM may be proprietary, ECM is
>a standard outlined in the ITU's Recommendation T.30, so it's no more
>encumbered than a whole lot of stuff your rxfax and txfax doodads are
>already doing.

I don't think that argument holds water. ITU recommendations are filled
with patented things. I have only implemented FAX features from the
original FAX standards, which are too old to still have patent problems.
I am very cautious about adding newer stuff. I have a prototype
implementation of V.17, but it isn't going into the distribution right
now, as there appears to be a patent on something about the trellis
coding (my implementation doesn't do the Viterbi decoding yet, so its
probably clear of patent issues right now :-) ). T.30 has *many* patent
claims on it, if you look at the ITU database of patent claims. I think
one or more relate to ECM.

Regards,
Steve