[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk mangling faxes

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Sun May 30 13:48:18 MST 2004

> Steve Underwood wrote:
>
> > Lee Howards wrote:
> > However, many (although not all, dare I say most?) modems support Fax
> > Class 1 or Class 1.0.  In this mode the faxing is heavily dependent
> > upon the DTE and thus the support or lack of support for ECM comes
> > from the fax software.  Your average fax software that comes on a CD
> > bundled with your modem is not going to support ECM.  Symantec (your
> > WinFax people) recently purchased the rights to Procomm Plus (yes, if
> > you're an old BBSer you may have this on your shelf), which does
> > support ECM in Class 1, so maybe Symantec will get that ECM technology
> > into WinFax eventually.  In the open-source world, HylaFAX now
> > supports ECM in its Class 1 implementation in its current CVS HEAD (to
> > someday become 4.2.0).
> >
> > I don't know of many other Class 1 Fax Softwares that support ECM.
>
> Are you sure that approach is free from patent problems? I thought the
> ECM protocol was encumbered. If not, that is good news. :-)

Steve,

I'm not a lawyer, but I'll give this a shot ;-)

Although particular vendor implementations of ECM may be proprietary, ECM is
a standard outlined in the ITU's Recommendation T.30, so it's no more
encumbered than a whole lot of stuff your rxfax and txfax doodads are
already doing.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson