[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk release (was: Asterisk Sunday News: Gone Fishing)

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sun May 30 16:38:28 MST 2004

Philipp von Klitzing [klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de] wrote:
> > more stable/usable (eg, fewer bugs) then is Stable. As previously
> > stated, its time to lock down Head, fix the few remaining bugs, and
> > make "it" the well-overdue & historic v1.0 production release.
> >
> Might indeed by the better approach. However, will this same problem
> occur over and over again, so that in the end we are effectively still at
> a single-stream asterisk code system?

The "1.0 stable" was branched around 300 years ago and has completely
lost track of the current head.  The branch seems to be gathering dust
with little or no prospect of an actual release.  This sort of thing
shouldn't be allowed to happen.

If branches are created to mark the start of a feature freeze, then
effort can be directed towards the creation of a release candidate
and (gasp) an actual release.  If a branch is created without an
associated release, or other valid reason, then it runs the risk of
becoming stale, as has happened in the "1.0 stable" case.

My advice would be to branch the CVS head and call it 1.0.0,  put a
feature freeze on the new branch and work towards quickly creating a
"stable" release.  A 1.0.x can be released periodically to bring
stable users up to date with bugs fixed - assuming they are fixed in
the current "stable" and not just in the head.  The CVS head can still
be worked on and, when the time is right, a 1.1.0 can be branched
to introduce stable users to the new features.

Some people would advocate the Linux kernel numbering scheme where
1.0.0 would be stable and 1.1.0 would be development.  I would say that
that sort of thing just seems like an overkill on a project this size;
Anyone who wants to use the "development branch" can track the current
CVS head.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz