[Asterisk-Users] Wiki TOS - worrying for an open source project?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri May 28 10:10:02 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 10:23, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > Please do not trim out attribution tags.
> > The double quoted is from Julien Levi <jules at jlevi.co.uk>
>
> Why not?  I replied to Julien Levi's post, so the attribution should be
> implied, just as I am replying to your post, and I don't have a "Steven
> Critchfield sez" line...  I've been doing this for damn near a decade now and
> you're the first person I can recall making mention of it.
>
> If I'm quoting mulitple levels or multiple people, I will of course try to
> make the attribution clear, but for this simple stuff, I thought it was
> already.

You have to realize that not all users have threaded mail readers. Also
that sometimes, but not on this list, list software will strip headers
down to a point that threading can break.

Think also of the person doing a search later on via the archives and
they see your post without the others, having attribution will help in
the chance case you trimmed something the person is looking for.
Specifically they know better where to look backwards to find the cause
for your message.

Length of committing an action doesn't imply it is correct. Many people
would have let it slide. Normally I probably would have skipped the
point if I hadn't wanted to look backwards and verify an opinion. So I
made the simple comment and even said "please". You can search out my
treatment of others who fall foul of nettiquette guidelines to see I was
unusually polite here.

As has already been mentioned, please don't trim the attribution out as
it should be provided by your mail reader for you.