[Asterisk-Users] Downgrading Asterisk

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri May 28 05:59:26 MST 2004

The code changes that fixed the cisco choppy sound for Stable went in last
Friday. That change corrected iax2 issues that had been known for well over
a month but never got applied to Stable. That same code is in Head, however
many other changes have happened to Head, and some of those apparently have
impacted at least "some" of us (mostly cisco users). Stable has a number of
other bugs that reportedly will never get fixed as the fixes use functionality
that exists only in Head.

It seems the choppy (and almost unusable) audio in Head is only impacting
"some" cisco users, and since these problems are not impacting the few that
can read code, use cisco phones, and are impacted, we're stuck with the
problem. The problem seems to be very evasive, however switching the iax2
links to use only iLBC (and not gsm) has corrected issues for some.

Although many of us that have worked in a production I/T arena assume
something called Stable would truly have known bugs fixed, that's hardly the
case for *. That branch really should be renamed to something like v1.0 and
remove any reference to Stable and bug fixes as its treated as a lockdown
for added functionality, and has nothing to do with functional stability.