[Asterisk-Users] generate dial tone

Michael George george at auroravideosys.com
Fri May 28 03:57:44 MST 2004

On May 27, 2004, at 11:01 PM, Aaron J. Angel wrote:
> Michael George wrote:
>> But, this isn't a big deal, we can live without it.  I just
>> thought there might be a way.  If I could do a
>> Backtround(Playtone()), that would do what I want...
>
> There's no need for that.  The playtone application continues to the
> next
> priority as it plays the tone, and keeps playing the tone until you
> call
> stoptone[s?].  Playtone(dial) should be what you're looking for then,
> and at
> the extension t (if you want a timeout), just call stoptone (or
> stoptones, I
> don't remember).  Check out www.voip-info.org.

Yes, I see what you are saying.  And I tried this.  Here's what happens:
I get the 9 and start PlayTones().
I go to the next context (with the tones playing).

In the next context (tones still playing) my matches are all several
digits long, so the tone is playing as the digits are pressed.  That is
disorienting because that usually happens on a broken line.

However, if you notice how Background() works, it will play the sound
file and still accept input.  Once it gets the first input key it will
stop playing and begin its matching.

That is exactly the behavior I want.

Now, I thought I could do playtones() and then match the just first
input number (0, 1, or N).  On 0, 1 or N (in separate extensions, of
course), I would stopplaytones() and then goto() the next context
(international, long distance, local -- respectively).

The int and ld contexts are straightforward, but the new local context
needs to know which extension was dialed (the 'N') to complete the
calling.  I tried that yesterday and got frustrated at the resulting
complexity of trying to do such a simple and inconsequential thing.  I
figured that the cost outweighed the benefit and I need to get this
prototype going so that we can move into full launch.

This dialtone issue needs to become a tier 2 or tier 3 feature.

-Michael