[Asterisk-Users] AGI Pascal

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri May 28 03:35:30 MST 2004

usedcanon <usedcanon at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks, suddenly makes sense now. I guessed that is the case however
> was not sure. Any opinion on what is more/most efficient, using a
> scripting language like perl or a compile app in C/pascal.

Define "efficient".

A C program would normally be expected to be about ten times faster
than a Perl script. But when it's 10ms to execute instead of 100ms, it
probably doesn't matter.

If your time is not free, it may be more efficient to write a quick
script in Perl and buy a faster server than it is to spend ages
writing in C.

Either way, if you're spending anything bit a trivial amount of CPU
time executing AGI scripts (whatever the language), you've probably
misdesigned something. So the ultimate answer is that AGI scripts
should be written in whatever language you're most comfortable doing
them in.

--
Vice is its own reward. It is virtue which, if it is to be marketed with
consumer appeal, must carry Green Shield stamps.