[Asterisk-Users] newbie needs help with kphone

Vic Cross vicc at veejoe.com.au
Thu May 27 18:44:40 MST 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Mike Stupak wrote:

> However, when I try dialing 1000 I get the following error message:
>
> "Close any program which might be using soundcard and then retry dial".

If you're using the ALSA sound server, I think this might be the problem.
It opens /dev/dsp and doesn't close it, so other apps that try and use
/dev/dsp directly (without going via ALSA) cannot get access to the
device.

If there's an option to tell kphone to use ALSA, try that.  Otherwise, you
can change ALSA's configuration to stop it from keeping the sound device
open.

Cheers,
Vic Cross