[Asterisk-Users] [OT] spandsp hylafax asterisk and confusion

Kris Boutilier Kris.Boutilier at scrd.bc.ca
Thu May 27 16:50:53 MST 2004

This really only seems practical in a corporate environment however, I would
suggest decoupling the creation of faxable material from the act of
transmitting it.

First use CUPS/Samba to create a 'print to PDF' printer
(http://www.google.ca/search?q=samba+pdf+printer)
Second use an LDAP to look up to return the email address of the submitter
of the job and send them the resulting PDF (perhaps
http://cups-mailto.sourceforge.net/).
Finally, use a SMTP to Fax gateway to actually send the PDF as a fax Ie.
recipient at 3125551212.fax
(http://www.google.ca/search?q=postfix+gateway+hylafax)

Now, when Hylafax is able to use SpanDSP/Asterisk as a virtual modem bank
(<grin>), voila! A very scalable OS independant, albeit two step, enterprise
fax system.