[Asterisk-Users] seeking H.323 <-> MGCP (User Agent) gateway

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Thu May 27 14:53:04 MST 2004

Hi all,

I am looking for a software package (free or not), or an
inexpensive hardware device, which can route calls between
an H.323 network and an MGCP-based voice service.

Unfortunately, I believe (based on documentation and other forum
posts -- I have not looked at the code) that Asterisk can only
act as an MGCP Call Agent.  Has anyone added code that can
talk the 'slave' side of the protocol (act as MG)?

Desired functionality could be implemented by connecting an
H.323 gateway with FXO ports to an MGCP residential gateway's
FXS ports.  However, I'd like to avoid the quality degradation
of an analog connection (or the expense of a TDM digital
connection), and find a solution that can simply route the media
streams directly.  Only one or two ports are needed per location.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stewart