[Asterisk-Users] "Glare" condition - How well does asteriskhandle?

Paul Crick web-asterisk-users at ivrl.com
Tue May 25 18:19:53 MST 2004

> Its possible to get glare... but doesnt outbound start at
> channel 1 and inbound start at channel 24?  Or something
> like that?
A lot of telcos and PBX installers configure it so that incoming calls hunt
sequentially from channel 1 upwards, and the PBX makes outgoing calls on
channel 23 (on a PRI, or 24 on a T1) downwards.

In our application, we had a few hundred lines per box, and the PRIs were
configured with "most idle" hunting, something which was new to me - in the
UK we only have sequential or cyclic (a term no one here understood, but
"round robin" seemed to make sense!). Either cyclic or "most idle" hunting
gives a better distribution of calls over available resources, and reduces
problems of the telco trying to present you another call as soon as one's
just finished on the same channel, but before you're ready to take it.. (put
it down to dodgy software design on our end I reckon!)