[Asterisk-Users] 100 analog phones?? HOWTO?

Jeff Gustafson ncjeffgus at zimage.com
Tue May 25 16:38:27 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 14:06, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> Most devices you will be using will be in some multiple of 24 as that is
> the number of channels in a T1. An Adit 600 will allow you up to 48
> channels as it is capable of handling 2 T1s on the back and 6 x 8port
> cards. So your 100 phones is just 3 Adit 600s, 2 of which are fully
> deployed and the 3rd only need have a single 8 port card. Then you need
> at least a TE4XXP card and either a T100P or a second TE4XXP card to get
> the channels out to the ADITs.

	That sounds fine then.

> > 	In theory Asterisk shouldn't have a lot of load.  It's simply routing
> > calls (at 64kbit) and not converting them from one codec to another.
>
> While there is no codec, there is echo canceling and there is servicing
> the cards in a timely manner. So you need a pretty decent machine so it
> can handle the timing, but it won't be slammed.

	I noticed that one of the Adtran boxes can have an optional echo
cancellation module.  When I asked a VAR about this they said it was a
special order item that they never kept in stock.  According to the
Adtran web site the module is designed for "packetized voice
applications."  It sounds at though Asterisk wouldn't have to put cycles
to echo cancellation with a module like this.
	I was also thinking that if I used more than one machine with TDMoE I
could potentially have better performance.

				...Jeff