[Asterisk-Users] 100 analog phones?? HOWTO?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue May 25 14:06:55 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 14:53, Jeff Gustafson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 19:33, Paul Mahler wrote:
> > I have had good experiences with Adit. Their customer service and
> > documentation are excellent.
>
> 	Sounds good.  So they have chassis that can handle >= 100 analog
> phones?  I looked at something called the Adit 600.  But I wasn't sure I
> could put enough cards in it to handle 100 phones.  Or is it just easier
> to purchase multiple chassis until the 100 port requirement is reached?
> Is there another product tiering I should be looking at that works well
> with Asterisk?  I'm supposed to get some feedback from one of their
> VAR's soon, but I wanted to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

Most devices you will be using will be in some multiple of 24 as that is
the number of channels in a T1. An Adit 600 will allow you up to 48
channels as it is capable of handling 2 T1s on the back and 6 x 8port
cards. So your 100 phones is just 3 Adit 600s, 2 of which are fully
deployed and the 3rd only need have a single 8 port card. Then you need
at least a TE4XXP card and either a T100P or a second TE4XXP card to get
the channels out to the ADITs.

> 	In theory Asterisk shouldn't have a lot of load.  It's simply routing
> calls (at 64kbit) and not converting them from one codec to another.

While there is no codec, there is echo canceling and there is servicing
the cards in a timely manner. So you need a pretty decent machine so it
can handle the timing, but it won't be slammed.