[Asterisk-Users] 11 instead of Star

Paul Crick web-asterisk-users at ivrl.com
Tue May 25 03:02:59 MST 2004

> The most compelling reason to me to have them in the dial
> plan is that CLASS codes aren't universal.
Yup, I'm with you there.. they're mostly universal within US telcos but even
then there are some odd ones.. I use *98 for voicemail from home, but other
carriers don't. UK = 1571 for BT Message Minder?

> For my Asterisk setup, I'd rather my phone uses the same
> star codes as BT and GSM than some foreign standard that
> nobody here knows.
Exactly.. and maybe supplement as necessary - I like the US option of *70
for single call deactivation of call waiting, but it'd be nice to have the
toggle on and off-able ability of european switches with *43# and #43#.. and
of course, those nice diversion codes that are standard for landlines and
mobiles - the whole of Europe can't be wrong, surely?

> Let me guess, is he American? ;)
Meow - let's not go there. Seriously - I think Mark's a cool bloke and I've
never even dealt with him, but look at what we have today - sure, there are
other contributors and stuff, but a lot of it comes down to him, the start
he made, the continuing work and coordination that he does..

Convincing Americans that some of the European stuff actually isn't bad
takes a while.. Sure, CDMA is better than GSM given the
circumstances/situation etc blah blah yadda but don't you see the benefits
of the way GSM goes together nicely? roaming? access codes? Whoah there
Paul, it's late, let's not start a holy war..

> This is very much my preferred solution. If there is still
> some bizarre obligation to support alien phone standards
> in the channel drivers, we should have the option of
> disabling this undesired behaviour.
Maybe someone a bit higher up the development chain than me can comment on
the current state of play with this? The bug tracker has this bug:
http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0001071 but there's been no
recent activity.

Cheers
Paul