[Asterisk-Users] 11 instead of Star

Peter Corlett abuse at chapati.cabal.org.uk
Tue May 25 02:09:19 MST 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 07:58:26PM -0700, Paul Crick wrote:
[...]
> *sighs* Yeah, that won't work.. which is a shame.. this goes back to the
> whole debate of "should CLASS service codes be implemented in the dial
> plan or the channel driver?"

The most compelling reason to me to have them in the dial plan is that CLASS
codes aren't universal. AFAICS, they're mainly limited to the USA and telcos
that source cheap switches from the USA and don't bother to customise them.

For my Asterisk setup, I'd rather my phone uses the same star codes as BT
and GSM than some foreign standard that nobody here knows.

> From memory and reading the mailing list for a while now, I think Mark's
> dead against having these features in the dial plan, but I can't remember
> why.

Let me guess, is he American? ;)

[...]
> I think the way it was going to go was a flag which would allow you to
> disable all channel driver features like this and rely on the dial plan to
> implement the features.

This is very much my preferred solution. If there is still some bizarre
obligation to support alien phone standards in the channel drivers, we
should have the option of disabling this undesired behaviour.