[Asterisk-Users] testing asterisk on FXS lines

Michael George george at auroravideosys.com
Mon May 24 13:56:50 MST 2004

On May 24, 2004, at 4:00 PM, Michael George wrote:
> I am configuring an asterisk server and I want to test the incoming
> configuration with my FXS handsets.
>
> I have the FXS lines able to call eachother and they can connect out
> the FXO lines.
>
> I changed the context for the FXS lines to "incoming" so that they
> would be able to test the setup for incoming calls.
>
> For the incoming context I have:
> [incoming]
> exten => s,1,Wait(1)
> exten => s,2,Answer()
> exten => s,3,Background(hello2) ; this is the file I need to test the
> playback of first
>
> And I do a restart.  When I pickup one of the FXS handsets, though, I
> get this from asterisk (running with the -vvvc arg):
> 	Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
> and that is it.
>
> I know that the context is right because I put a hard-dial of "202" in
> there and when I dialed it, it would connect to that extension (Zap/2)
> and if I dialed anything else I would get fast busy.
>
> I have checked and the line right after the last exten above is
> another context marker.
>
> The asterisk output also shows the s extensions being loaded under the
> correct context when I do a reload after the restart (to see just the
> messages from the contexts being loaded).
>
> What am I missing to get the FXS lines, in the context "incoming", to
> do the wait/answer/background?
>
> Thanks!

For some reason, the s extension is not being executed for the FXS
lines.  I changed their default context back to "internal" and added
"exten => s,1,Background(hello2)" to the internal context, thinking
that when I pick up the handset I will get the hello2 audio file played
as it waits for me to enter digits.

But the audio file is not played...  I must be missing an essential
concept here...

-Michael