[Asterisk-Users] RTP timestamps (was: AArgh, * and the 7960)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri May 21 06:47:43 MST 2004

> > As you already know, the timestamp problem with cisco phones dropping
> > packets has been associated with at least two channels.
> > <snip>
> > Although iax & capi are getting hammered, the real issue seems to be
> > that no one has opened a high sev TAC case to fix the root problem.
>
> If I was the one to open the TAC case, the transcript would read:
>
> VC:  My phone is broken: I get no audio.
> TAC: Show us a network trace.
> VC:  (presents my ethereal traces, with the non-counting RTP timestamps)
> TAC: (laughing) NEXT!!!
>
> I have not read RFC1889 (RTP) in detail, but I am positive that the
> timestamp field was put there for a reason.  Sure, maybe Cisco is a little
> overzealous in the way their code handles non-conformance, but to try and
> put the blame entirely on them is misdirection.  My ATA-186 has problems
> with the same RTP stream.  GIGO.
>
> * needs to generate RTP streams with valid timestamp progression -- surely
> we're not happy to say "the Cisco 79x0 is the only phone that cares about
> timestamps, so there's the problem".
>
> (Eek, I'm defending Cisco...  Too many beers at lunchtime, maybe.)
>
> Right, I'm fed up with looking like a whinger on this list, and will
> whinge no more.  I'm off to try and get to the bottom of this.  Maybe I'll
> stay up until 2am (GMT+10) to try and get kram on IRC; maybe I'll decide
> that I need the sleep.

Vic,

You're not the only one with this frustration / show stopper, and regardless
of what bkw says, its a serious problem that for whatever reason, a few
arrogant people refuse to acknowledge.

Problems (just for bkw):
 1. Stable does not include the "major" iax2 fixes that were corrected last month
 2. Head has a iax2/gsm sequence number issue
both result in choppy audio when transcoded to sip on Cisco phones.

As has been noted MULTIPLE TIMES on this list, there is no realistic
combination of cvs code that we can use, period. And since at least some
of us are not programmers, we're simply body slammed by the arrogant few.

Off now to escalate this son of a bitch, or dump asterisk!!!!

Rich