[Asterisk-Users] asterisk-providers mailing list?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu May 20 10:42:59 MST 2004

At 1:04 PM -0400 on 5/20/04, Reed Wade wrote:
>It seems like it might be nice to have a mailing list to talk about
>(and to) voip providers for Asterisk users.
>
>It would be a good place to share info about config, pricing news,
>customer service, local numbers, transient outages, etc. Providers
>would be encouraged to contribute sales info. Users would be able to
>help each other out with technical and non-technical issues.
>
>Seems good for everyone and it would keep some of the noise and hurt
>feelings out of the other lists.
>
>The real goal of the list would be to improve the quality of the
>experience for customers and suppliers. This is something we need to
>improve in order for voip to be taken more seriously.
>
>?
>
>-reed

   Would providers actually contribute meaningful discussion and data
on such a list?  My experience shows that the majority of providers
that I know (and have worked with or for) and who use Asterisk have
not once, ever, posted anything to either the -dev list or the -users
list.  That number is more than ten and less than thirty, to be
suitably vague.  In fact, the only activity on any VoIP list or
organizations from any of the providers I've worked for seems to
be... me.

   This is not to say that I'm always the only VoIP person at these
firms (though that has certainly been the case at several) but it
does say that providers are notoriously secretive and closed-mouth,
and automatically distrustful of anything that could expose them to
the "shame" of running software or hardware that didn't cost them
millions of dollars. (<frantic_hand_waving> "We're HUGE!  We're
MAMMOTH!  YOU SHOULD INVEST IN US!  We've spent INCREDIBLE AMOUNTS OF
MONEY on this system to bring AMAZING RESULTS to our customers and
INVESTORS!  It's IMPOSSIBLE to duplicate what we've done!  Arrrrr!")

   I would love to see a list where this speak-no-evil trend is
reversed, but I suspect it would be a very low-volume list.  There is
already a list called "isp-clec" which (sometimes) covers this
ground.  See http://isp-lists.isp-planet.com/isp-clec/  for details
and archives.

JT