[Asterisk-Users] G729 codec for asterisk

brian brian at bkw.org
Thu May 20 09:17:55 MST 2004

> Hi there,
>              Here at my company we are willing to use the asterisk IVR
> system.
> The problem we are having rigth now is that all our GWs use G729.
> I've read that in order to asterisk be able to make transcoding from the
> GSM
> audio files to G.729, it is necesary to purchase a license from digium. Is
> this correct?
>
> I've seen that licenses are purchased on a per-channel basis. Could we
> make
> some sort of agreement on having a no-limit channel license? Even, we
> would
> like to have the possibility of installing it on how many machines we wish
> do.

No you MUST pay per channel because the patent holders require that.  The
patent holders would !@#$ kittens if you had no port limit or any type of
control on it.  That's why the control and registration processes are in
place to comply with the patent holders requirements.  So your request
translates into "I want something for nothing".

bkw