[Asterisk-Users] AArgh, * and the 7960

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu May 20 05:34:08 MST 2004

<snip>

> But as I've mentioned before, this isn't the whole story.  There are other
> repeatable scenarios that still cause problems, and to which some large
> progressive providers also see as an issue and won't accept termination becuase
> of it:
>
> GW <- SIP -> * <- IAX2 -> * <- SIP -> 79X0
>
> Now, if this scenario has been corrected as well, please accept my apologies
> for bringing it up.
>
> This config, with the absolute latest CVS HEAD, well as of a week or so ago
> when I last checked, seems to cause issues on the sequencing.
>
> I seem to recall comments that there is some work still being done on getting
> this cross protocol packet sequencing to work properly?  I'll have to get
> Ethereal out again and prove that it is still happening.
>
> And why are we blaming Cisco for dropping packets that are mis-sequenced, when
> we shouldn't be sending them mis-sequenced packets in the first place?

Assuming there is a sequence numbering issue (which I don't doubt, I just
haven't taken the time to investigate), no one is blaming cisco. Rather,
the sequence problem would be "another" issue.

Cisco's problem is that it drops packets (choppy audio) when the rtp timestamps
within the rtp pkt are not consistent. Totally unrelated to sequence numbers.