[Asterisk-Users] AArgh, * and the 7960

Christopher Lee chris at datachaos.com.au
Thu May 20 02:19:43 MST 2004

I have a 7940 running 6.3 SIP firmware and make the following type of
calls:-

7940 => * => IAX2 <= * <= Digium X100P <= Nortel CICS Analog FXS

Both local and remote asterisk's run CVS-02/24/04 (built about 30mins
apart). The IAX2 connection is over a VPN, and both sites are running
1500k/256k ADSL connections, about 75ms ping time between the sites.

The only time I notice any problems is if one site has an application
flooding its upstream, otherwise audio quality is very good. The odd packet
might drop here and there, scrambling a word or two, which I usually
attribute to upstream choking.

7940 is running G.729 over 100Mbps LAN to Asterisk, and IAX2 connection is
presently running GSM (I've bought a couple of G729 licences for the remote
asterisk but am waiting on the keys to install the beta codec).

Unfortunately I don't have any spare 7940/60's at present to try out on the
remote * box to see how a SIP-IAX2-SIP call would perform.