[Asterisk-Users] AArgh, * and the 7960

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue May 18 12:56:38 MST 2004

> I've just had the most appalling performance from * ever.  Dialling:
>
>  Cisco 7960 => asterisk => IAX
>
> produces sound drop outs so extreme that the call is useless.  I noted this
> in an earlier post. Dialling:
>
>  Cisco ATA186 => asterisk => IAX
>
> is fine.
>
> Frankly, I think this is such a bad problem that it should be sorted in
> advance of any of the new features that seem to be getting such prominence
> nowadays.  It was not present earlier in the year and I haven't upgraded my
> 7960.  So I don't think you can point the finger entirely in Cisco's
> direction.

The problem has been discussed multiple times over the last several weeks.
To recap, there is two things needed to incure the problem:
 1. cisco 7960 phone (it discards packets with uneven timestamps)
 2. asterisk had an iax problem that was fixed about a month ago assoicated
    with uneven timestamps. The distant iax system will need to be upgraded
    to fairly recent code.

See previous posts for more detail.