[Asterisk-Users] Concept for line appearances and bridging: anyone?

Anon asterisk_user at tarottoni.com
Wed May 19 04:45:57 MST 2004

On Friday 07 May 2004 09:55 pm, John Todd wrote:
> OK, here's a configuration challenge: I want to have certain line
> appearances able to be "interrupted" by various other line apperances
> elsewhere in the office.  This is harder to describe than it is to
> demonstrate, so I'll do that:
>
> Let's assume I have Cisco 7960's on all desks.
>
>   1) Call comes from inbound line X destined on extension 1234
>
>   2) Phones A, B, C all ring on line appearance 1234 (there is a
> specific line labelled "1234" on each phone)
>
>   3) User A picks up the ringing call on 1234.   Line X and User A are
> bridged.
>
>   4) User B saw the caller ID on the call before it was picked up by
> user A, but she wants to talk to the caller as well since she has
> some relevant information.  User B picks up the phone and pushes the
> "1234" extension button.  A warning tone is played into the
> conversation between X and User A, and then User B is bridged into
> the conversation.  User B then talks with X and User A, and then
> hangs up.
>
> This is _extremely_ relevant to office PBX systems.  In fact, it's
> one of the most used features - the ability to share a call with
> other people in the office just by hitting the right "line
> appearance" button.  Has anyone come up with a reasonable solution to
> delivering this feature?  For small offices, this is really a
> mandatory feature though as the number of calls increases this
> becomes more useless in an inbound setting (though as a workgroup
> feature it gains usefulness with size of the organization.  I'll skip
> the business cases for why this is a good idea and leave it as an
> exercise for the reader.)
I doubt this suggestion is of much use to you, yet it may help someone
scanning the archive: the Polycom SoundPoint IP 600 (and probably the 500)
has this ability.  I'm not sure this proves Asterisk can create this feature;
yet, it strongly suggests that at least this function is possible in
Asterisk.

Anon