[Asterisk-Users] AArgh, * and the 7960

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed May 19 08:57:26 MST 2004

> Two * boxes does not fix the problem as the timestamps will trickle through
> each. The root of the problem is two fold: a) iax conversations where pkts
> originate from an * system that is either older then about 30 days ago (or
> a system based on stable code), and, b) cisco 7960 issue with dropping any
> packet with uneven timestamps.

A TDMoE link between two * boxes will not retime *everything* passing between
them?!

> problem, but there seems to be a major issue with a few on this list
> understanding that and understanding what "production" means.

Actually, and I do not mean to be rude here, but if you're using * in a
production environment you are already part of the problem -- * has never
claimed to be production ready.  I use it in a production environment, Jeremy
McNamara does, many people do but if it doesn't work it's not suddenly
someone else's problem that beta/alpha software is not "production ready."

I am positive that a TDMoE link between *1 and *2 will re-time everything
passing between them since you are converting from RTP to TDM and back to RTP
(in the case of SIP on each end, or even SIP on one and IAX2 on the other,
although IAX2 does not use RTP you're still completely retiming
everything)...  Worth a shot anyway, innit?

-A.
-A.