[Asterisk-Users] AArgh, * and the 7960

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed May 19 09:09:19 MST 2004

> > We as users of lots of other service providers and systems other then
> > Nufone don't have the choice of forcing "those" systems to either Head
> > or Stable. That's purely irrelevant. Since we can't force others to
> > upgrade to anything, we're stuck with either throwing away the Cisco
> > phones or removing the rtp.c code that's causing the poor quality issue.
>
> Fine then -- fix your problem -- set up two * boxes, one talking ot the SIP
> gateway and then set up an IAX-IAX or better yet TDMoE link between the
> interim one and the one your cisco phones are connected to.
>
> I think the point you're trying to make is that Cisco needs to solve their
> problem, and that Asterisk needs to make it happen.  That isn't gonna work.
> A second box with a pair of ethernet cards in it will, unless I'm missing
> something.

Two * boxes does not fix the problem as the timestamps will trickle through
each. The root of the problem is two fold: a) iax conversations where pkts
originate from an * system that is either older then about 30 days ago (or
a system based on stable code), and, b) cisco 7960 issue with dropping any
packet with uneven timestamps.

If your * system has iax links to two service providers, three different
companies (in production), and other such things, there is literally no way
to convince "all" remote sites to upgrade to "dev cvs". That IS the problem,
but there seems to be a major issue with a few on this list understanding
that and understanding what "production" means.