[Asterisk-Users] AArgh, * and the 7960

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed May 19 08:10:37 MST 2004

> >From what I understand, the Stable code has not yet been fixed for the
> > iax problem and that most certainly was a major bug. Fair number of
> > folks seem to using stable code as well.
>
> I'm going to state this again for those not paying close attention.
>
> CVS-HEAD is just as stable if NOT MORE stable than CVS-STABLE.
>
> CVS-HEAD is going to be 1.1-RC1
> CVS-STABLE is going to be 1.0-RC1
>
> That's right a dual release.
>
> These remote ends can update and be backwards compatible but THEY MUST
> UPDATE otherwise the problem is going to continue.

You're missing the point, Brian. Those comments were in response to your
statement that essentially said there isn't a problem because your system
is working fine. And based on your comment, your primary (only?) iax link
is to Nufone.

We as users of lots of other service providers and systems other then
Nufone don't have the choice of forcing "those" systems to either Head
or Stable. That's purely irrelevant. Since we can't force others to
upgrade to anything, we're stuck with either throwing away the Cisco
phones or removing the rtp.c code that's causing the poor quality issue.

I'm in favor of backing those rtp.c changes out of both Head and Stable
and schedule the re-implementation six months down the road. At least
there is a much higher probability the majority of * systems in the
universe would have been updated to something that includes the iax and
other fixes. Who knows, maybe cisco will have fixed the problem by
then too.

Rich