[Asterisk-Users] * and Cisco routers

Lars Boegild Thomsen lth at cow.dk
Tue May 18 21:33:51 MST 2004

The funny thing is that in my experience VoIP actually works quite well over
the Internet.  I am Danish but live in Malaysia, so I do quite a lot of VoIP
calls between those two locations.  That can't possibly get any worse on the
public Internet.  There are an average of 25 hops between Malaysia and
Denmark, it litterally goes all the way round this little planet (from
Malaysia via Hong Kong to US West Coast.  Through US and from US East Coast
to Denmark).  Round-trip delay is usually around 550 ms (meaning somewhere
around 260 ms one way).  Yet in my experience having been running this for
more than a year it is EXTREMELY rare that there are drop-outs or delays
caused by the Internet.  The last mile is important.  If there are drop outs
they are usually always caused by the misserable 382 kbps xDSL link I am
stucked with here in Malaysia.  But that part can be handled with proper QoS
(queing in Linux).

In short - even in the scenario described above - which must be considered
an amost worst case scenario - the quality is generally more than OK and in
general noticable better than GSM calls.  I quite often use a call going
that way to demonstrate the quality when I get concerns about poor quality
of VoIP via the Internet.

I saw a user survey a few years back that concluded that most people didn't
really notice delays of less than 3-400 ms.  Only around 500 ms most users
noticed and was annoyed by it.

And now judging from your comments IPSec shouldn't really be a problem
either.