[Asterisk-Users] * and Cisco routers

Ronald R. McDaniel rmcdaniel at southerncomp.net
Tue May 18 20:12:54 MST 2004

Doug,

I don't believe that it would be a good idea to leave the Asterisk box
unprotected (without any firewall).  This would leave you wide open for
people to access your internal system through the Asterisk box.  We have
all been participating in a discussion about an article written by the
ingenious Mr. Jim Louderback, technology writer for Ziff Davis, regarding
the security risk of IP Telephony.  As far as the cost of vpning the
phones, maybe you could use LinkSys vpn routers ($129.00 / each) and cut
the cost in half.
 If you didn't want to go the VPN route, you could setup access-list on
your 3810 to only accept traffic from the known IP addresses of your home
warriors.  This is not the most secure, but it does provide some security
and would probably block most half hearted attempts from wannabe hackers.
 You could sell your Cisco phones, install X-Lite (free softphone) and
put the money from the Cisco phones toward vpning your network.  There
are several ways to go, I just wouldn't leave it wide open.

Sincerely,

Ronald R. McDaniel
Southern Computer Services, Inc.
rmcdaniel at southerncomp.net