[Asterisk-Users] AArgh, * and the 7960

Brian Cuthie brian at systemix.com
Tue May 18 19:49:09 MST 2004

You know, I'm not so sure this is limited to chan_capi. I have two
asterisk boxes running, with one connected to my PSTN gateway (also
using Asterisk).  1.0 stable works fine with my Cisco phone. CVS head
works if I comment out the offending lines. Without commenting them out,
the cisco phones drop packets like crazy. No chan_api is involved.

And as far as 'fixing' it goes, I would love to. I'm not without the
skill. But, while Asterisk is almost unbelievable in its features set,
some of the code is damn hard to grok. Some source files have as many as
8000 lines with virtually *no* comments. I don't think I've seen a
single function with a preamble describing what it does, or how it works.

And I don't mean any offense by this. As I said, Asterisk is a truly
amazing piece of software. But if the original developers, who really
know how this stuff works, could put some effort into documenting the
code with some comments, their efforts will pay off ten-fold when others
are able to start helping them maintain it.

Cheers,

-brian