[Asterisk-Users] Re: Grandstream v1.0.4.68 firmware

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Tue May 18 12:54:38 MST 2004

Stephen R. Besch wrote:

> Thomas Galloway wrote:
>
>> Stephen R. Besch wrote:

>>> Am I missing something obvious about the new ringtone feature? The
>>> 4.68 firmware updates as usual from my TFTP server, the new version
>>> shows up in the phone's web page, but the ring tones, while present
>>> on the server and referenced on the web page, all show a version of
>>> 0.0.0.0, and all functionality regarding them is disabled.  Are we
>>> maybe jumping the gun here a little bit or is there something
>>> special about getting them to load?
>>>
>> I just slapped them all onto my TFTP server and they all load fine.
>> Then on the bottom I can choose between the 3 ringtones and tell it
>> to ring a certain ringtone if coming from a certain caller id. I just do
>> not like the ringtones (piano). It'd be great if there was a way to
>> upload own ringtones but I can not
>> seem to be able to find out how to edit the files.
>

> That has not been my experience. I do indeed get the option to
> associate each ring tone with a given caller ID (which in my
> estimation is a really stupid implementation anyway - the real value
> would be in associating each line on the 2 line GS with a different
> ring tone. The caller ID already tells you who is calling). However, I
> can put anything I want into the text boxes and nothing happens - I
> always get the "system ring tone". And, what are those stupid little
> radio boxes for. No matter which one I check, when the screen
> refreshes it defaults back to the System Ring Tone. Here's what they
> look like (the "o"'s are supposed to be radio boxes):
>
>  o System Ring Tone
>  o Custom Ring tone 1, used if incoming caller ID is (Text Box)
>  o Custom Ring tone 2, etc.

For me when I select Custom Ring tone 1 I get the first ring tone (what
is some stupid piano playing and is pretty much useless)
As for ring tone 2 is some piano too. (even more useless now)
and ring tone 3.... guess.... piano. (That killed the sense of that
function for me)
My boss was asking to have have a different ringtone so he can figure
out if it's his phone ringing or the one in the office next door. Well I
guess with piano's they are the same again. Doooh....

> What's this supposed to mean? It implies that if I select one of the
> custom ring tones, then the phone will ring on the matching CID,
> otherwise, it won't ring at all!  This feature really needs work.  I
> hope it doesn't wind up like the useless Daylight Savings Time option,
> which you may have noticed does not pay any attention to the date so
> you have to log into each and every phone and change the option anyway
> (please, correct me if this has been fixed). Why bother? I can just as
> easily change the time zone and get the same effect. GS is obviously
> targeting their phones for the consumer market where a customer has 1,
> maybe 2 phones and this kind of thing is irrelevant. The whole concept
> of their overpriced "provisioning system" is rather a funny joke in
> this context, and a rather pretentious one at that.

Might be able to hack up some script that changes the function in the
tftp file that get's uploaded when the phone is turned on. What would
mean everytime there is a timezone change have to run the script and
reboot the phones.

Ah well we just have 6 of those phones here and so far they are kinda
okay (besides mine crashing all the time especially after calls).

-- Thomas