[Asterisk-Users] registering in sipphone

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Tue May 18 10:14:58 MST 2004

Randy,

I can't tell if you have everything configured correctly from the snippets
below, so I'll just run through what your configs should look like where
this problem is concerned.

First, is the sip.conf file.  There are a couple concepts here that are not
self-evident.  First the register command does nothing more than registers
your current IP address with a SIP registrar so that they can find you for
incoming calls.  It does not configure asterisk to accept those incoming
calls.  For that you need either a friend or user entry.  There are three
type of entries, friend (both user and peer), user, and peer.  In most
cases it's easiest to use friend, but in some advanced cases, the use of
peer and user can resolve some issues that will pop up when using friend.

sip.conf

register => 1747xxxxxxx:passwd at proxy01.sipphone.com/1747xxxxxxx

[sipphone]
type=friend
username=1747xxxxxxx
auth=md5 ;this is optional and only needed if you want to force the type of
auth (md5|text)
secret=passwd
host=proxy01.sipphone.com
canreinvite=no
context=inbound-sip

extentions.conf

[inbound-sip]

exten =>
1747xxxxxxx,1,Dial(SIP/<your-sip-phone>,<timeout-in-seconds>,<options>)
exten => 1747xxxxxxx,2,Voicemail(u<your-voicemail-account-number)
exten => 1747xxxxxxx,3,Hangup
exten => 1747xxxxxxx,103,Voicemail(b<your-voicemail-account-number)
exten => 1747xxxxxxx,104,Hangup

[sipphone-out]

exten _.,1,SetCallerID(1747xxxxxxx)
exten _.,2,SetCIDName(Randy)
exten _.,3,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@sipphone) ;where sipphone is the context of
the friend or peer entry in sip.conf

or, in this case if you only wanted to send calls to sipphone that began in
with the area code 747, you could change the match from

_. to _1747NXXXXXX

Now to actually have access to this dial out plan, you either need to place
the exten code into the same context as your handset is set (in sip.conf)
or add the following line in the context of your handset.

include => sipphone-out

Hope this helps out.

Chris