[Asterisk-Users] TDMoE hangs the machine

C. Maj cmaj-SPAM at freedomcorpse.com
Sun May 16 09:02:13 MST 2004

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Bruno Fontana waxed:

> I was trying to use TDMoE and I lasted with two problems. First of all I
> can't configure the dynamic span to use CAS signalling but documentation
> (by Mark) says that you can use any type of signalling (and this
> includes CAS I guess).

Well just pick one that works I guess.  You aren't limited
to T1/E1 d-channel / b-channel ratios, either.  Meaning you
can create 200 b-channels and still have the signalling over
only 1 d-channel.  Not that you'll ever be able to push that
much over the wire...

> My second problem is related that  my  Linux system crashes frequently
> due to  ztdynamic and friends. I'm using a 2.4.26 version kernel and
> zaptel drivers 0.9.1 (Gentoo distro). I've looked for a solution or a
> clue in list archives but there was nothing.
> Any ideas?, someone who  had a similar problem and have found a solution?

I've found it unstable on high loads, in excess of 50 channels
between smoking P4s, with or without any zaptel card drivers
loaded.  I would like to try blaming it on the switch, and
possibly the NICs both facing the public network, but it was
still 0 hops between boxes.  Might have better luck on
separate, better ethernet cards over a private network.

TDMoE is very noisy:

    http://www.marko.net/asterisk/archives/0301/0566.html

There's an ancient TDMoE howto here:

    http://www.convergence.com.pk/TDMoE-HOWTO

It's old, but so is the code for ztdynamic, so I assume it
just works for a lot of people.  That or people have dropped
it in favor of something like trunking on IAX2.

--Chris

--
Chris Maj, Rochester
cmaj_at_freedomcorpse_dot_com