[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail transfer

Shaun Ewing asterisk at ewing.tk
Sat May 15 11:54:13 MST 2004

From: Damian Dicks

> How do you setup * so that a user can transfer a
> call directly into someone's voicemail?

There are a few ways, but the way I have it:

All our extensions are four digits and start with 7, so I have the system
setup so that if you transfer a call to *EXTN (eg: *7202) the call will go
into the voicemail box for the respective extension. This is best used with
blind transfer. If you used supervised transfer, you'll end up cutting off
part of the greeting :-).

The entry in extensions.conf:

; Direct to Voicemail

exten => _*7XXX,1,Voicemail(u${EXTEN:1})
exten => _*7XXX,2,Hangup

Works fine here. A user can also forward their calls to the *EXTN extension
as well if their phone supports it (acts as a "DND" feature).

> Damian

-Shaun