[Asterisk-Users] OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!! NOT!!!

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Fri May 14 17:00:56 MST 2004

Had a fight with Ameritech in the late 90's.  I heard conversations on
my fax-line that did not belong to me (didn't have they psychiatrist
check, but I was pretty sure).  They claimed it was another unit in the
house, I told them the only other people living there were the
landlords, and they're out of town.  Cordless?  Nope.  This went on for
two weeks until I went to RadioShack, bought a phone-adapter and started
recording the conversations.  A teenage girl discussing where to get
what drugs with her boyfriend, a middle-aged woman talking to someone
about how to scam the wellfare office, and finally -- that same woman
SCAMMING the welfare office and giving her SSN, name and address over
the phone.  Took 2 hours between finding that tidbit and Ameritech
telling me they found a "crossed line" two blocks down.  Since then, I
will not reveal personal information over the phone (and my answering
machine messages never give the name or number they called -- if the
caller doesn't know who they want, they shouldn't be calling)