[Asterisk-Users] GSM v iLBC for low bandwidth connections

nathan nathan at yorkukhosting.com
Fri May 14 04:31:44 MST 2004

Hi All,

I've been playing with GSM and iLBC over low bandwidth connections
(central Asterisk box with 2mbps, to ADSL users on 512/256) and both
seem to perform well. Based upon what I've read in the archives and
at voip-info.org iLBC should perform a little better if packets are
lost, than compared to GSM. Do you find this to be true in practice,
or is GSM just as robust?

Whilst I'm asking questions, in terms of sound quality would there be
a significant benefit in switching to g.729?

Regards,
Nathan.